Former Spurs psychologist sues team, Primo over alleged incidents of indecent exposure
A psychologist who formerly worked with the San Antonio Spurs is suing the organization and former team guard Josh Primo saying the franchise ignored her reports of repeated indecent exposure by the young player.
The attorney representing Primo has flatly denied that the incidents were what the psychologist claims in the lawsuit.
The Spurs shocked the NBA community last week by releasing Primo, a promising young 19-year-old player, last week. Primo said he needed to step away from the team for mental health reasons.Here are the details on the lawsuit, via Tom Osborn of the San Antonio Express-News.
A former psychologist who worked for the Spurs has filed a lawsuit in Bexar County alleging the franchise “ignored her repeated reports of indecent exposure” by 19-year old guard Josh Primo in the hope that it could “ignore and then cover up his actions.”...
Cauthen made her first report about Primo’s conduct to Spurs management in Jan. 2022.
“Primo repeatedly exposed his genitals (nine times in total) to Dr. Cauthen during individual private sessions, despite her numerous complains about Primo’s improper sexual conduct to the organization’s leadership.”
Cauthen met with Spurs general manager Brian Wright on March 21, 2022 to discuss Primo’s alleged conduct.
The lawsuit alleges the Spurs did nothing about the situation.
The Spurs responded with this statement from CEO and long-time basketball executive RC Buford:
“We disagree with the accuracy of facts, details and timeline presented today. While we would like to share more information, we will allow the legal process to play out. Our organization remains committed to upholding the highest standards and will continue to live by our values and culture.”
The attorney representing Primo released a statement basically denying everything, or at least that things took place as described in the lawsuit.
Previously, Primo had released a statement to ESPN saying he needed to be away from the team to deal with a mental health issue.
“I know that you all are surprised by today’s announcement. I’ve been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I have suffered and will now take this time to focus on my mental health treatment more fully. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered in a similar way. I appreciate privacy at this time.”
“It is our hope that, in the long run, this decision will serve the best interest of both the organization and Joshua,” Spurs CEO and player/personnel executive RC Buford said in a statement when the team announced they were releasing Primo.
Primo, 19, averaged 23 minutes a night for the Spurs this season, scoring 7 points a game. The Spurs had pictured him as a wing who could be a secondary shot-creator on an elite team, a point forward who could run the offense at times, and they had picked up his $4.3 million player option for next season. His talent has other teams considering signing Primo as a free agent, but they will likely wait out this lawsuit.