Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

    SNY: Geno Smith starting Friday’s preseason game

    Link copied to clipboard!

    NYJ Quarterback #7
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    SNY’s Connor Hughes reports Geno Smith (foot soreness) will start Friday’s preseason game against the Steelers.

    Smith will undoubtedly only play a series or two, but it’s confirmation he’s over the “soreness” that held him out last weekend. Smith would have reportedly played through the “injury” during the regular season, so it was never believed to be serious. Any injury is worth noting for a 35-year-old player coming off a rough, rough year, but this one is in the rear-view mirror.
Harris is one to 'monitor' after signing to Giants
Najee Harris returns to the field this season after penning a one-year deal with the Giants. Patrick Daughtery and Denny Carter talk about the veteran and that he should be 'monitored' this season.

Related Player News

  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports that the team is not concerned about Smith’s foot soreness, writing, “if this was a regular-season game, he’d be a go.” Smith has reportedly been pushing the ball downfield in practice. Those hoping to catch a glimpse of the Jets’ passing attack will have to check back next week to see if the foot issue has been resolved. Rookie QB Cade Klubnik gets the start tonight.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    Rogers said Smith in a recent camp practice challenged the Jets secondary downfield enough to open up short-area opportunities for his pass catchers. “He wants to push the ball down the field to the WRs and hopefully that opens up the quick underneath throws,” Rogers said, adding that the Jets tight ends and rookie WR Omar Cooper were functioning as the main short-area pass catchers. Coming off a disastrous 2025 campaign in Vegas, Geno will look to bounce back with the Jets this season. During his run with the Seahawks, Geno was among the league’s most accurate passers.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    No charges are being brought and future action is contingent on new information or evidence being brought forward, per a police spokesman. Police were reportedly unable to determine the primary aggressor in the physical altercation. Smith’s home camera did not show any physical altercation occur between Smith and a woman. While it’s possible that there is more evidence to be seen, it seems safe to proceed as if there’s no reason to believe Smith will be held liable for whatever occurred here.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    “We were informed yesterday evening that, during review, it was determined that this case is being further investigated by detectives,” the department said in a Tuesday morning statement. “It is active and we cannot release any additional information at this time.” The department had been sending mixed messages, saying it was “not an active case” but “still being reviewed.” We now know it is indeed still being investigated, leaving the situation very much up in the air. There will likely be another update before the week is through.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    According to the California Post, a spokesperson for the Davie, Florida, police department said officers arrived at Smith’s residence at 4:40 PM ET on Sunday. They also noted that no one was taken into custody at the time, and there are conflicting reports on whether the situation remains under review or has been closed. The incident involves a woman named “Kristen” who claimed in a video she posted to Instagram that Geno “beat my a—" while also claiming he broke her computer. Smith can be seen in the video and is also seen speaking to police officers, but we don’t know much about the situation beyond that. The Jets have declined to comment on these reports at this time, but we’ll likely get more information on the matter in the near future. Smith joined the Jets on a one-year, $3.3 million contract this offseason and is expected to serve as the team’s QB1 in the second season under Aaron Glenn. ESPN’s Rich Cimini later reported that a police spokesperson said of the situation, “It is not an active case, but is still being reviewed before (a report) can be released.”
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    Reich bravely claimed, “I think his best football’s ahead of him.” Sure. Smith is coming off a year in which he ranked 29th in EPA per play, trailing only Cam Ward. He only appeared in 15 games and still led the NFL in sacks (55) and interceptions (17). A change in scenery was certainly in order for Geno, though he may be better off as a backup at this point in his career. With the Jets making an offer to Russell Wilson this week, it’s clear they aren’t satisfied with the state of their quarterback room. Geno can be penciled in as the Week 1 starter, but it’s unlikely he keeps that job through the end of the season.
  • FA Quarterback #3
    CBS is reportedly interested in bringing Wilson on as an anayst, and we doubt they are the only network reaching out to the former Super Bowl champion. On the other hand, Wilson visited with the Jets just after the 2026 NFL Draft, and the team is willing to bring him on as their QB2. While it isn’t a glamorous job, it might be Wilson’s last shot at playing in the NFL. For now, Cade Klubnik, Bailey Zappe, and Brady Cook are all on the able as backup options for Geno Smith this year.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    “There’s something about a quarterback with a chip on his shoulder,” Glenn said of Smith, who Glenn has already named as New York’s Week 1 starter. It’s difficult to say what the “promised land” might look like to a Jets team that has won 49 regular season games over the past ten years. Perhaps it means Smith, who struggled in Vegas last season, can make the Jets a respectable six or seven win team in 2026. It would be surprising if Smith remains New York’s starter throughout the year considering his lengthening injury history, his age, and the team’s need to see what they have in younger players as they prepare for what will likely be a post-Glenn rebuild.
  • NYJ Quarterback #7
    There is “no doubt about it” per Glenn. As the Jets rotated through various starting quarterbacks last season, Glenn delayed naming the starting quarterback publicly until the end of the week on multiple occasions. Smith is coming off a rough year with the Raiders, but it’s clear that he was acquired via trade with the tacit agreement that he’d get the first chance. On Friday, ESPN’s Rich Cimini said he “would be a little surprised” if the Jets draft Alabama QB Ty Simpson with the No. 16 overall pick “because they have so many other needs” and possess three first-round picks in 2027. If the Jets load up on pass catchers via this year’s draft, we suppose Smith could work his way into QB2 consideration.
  • FA Quarterback
    Cimini also believes the Jets do not feel “pressured” to draft a quarterback in 2026 because they have three first-round picks in 2027. That said, Jets head coach Aaron Glenn, general manager Darren Mougey, OC Frank Reich and QB coach Bill Musgrave had dinner with Simpson last night and hosted him for a private workout today. The Jets hold the second, 16th, 33rd and 44th picks in this year’s draft. We certainly agree that the Jets have many needs, but finding a starting quarterback tops the list. Simpson could still end up in a Jets uniform next month.

Rotoworld

  • LV Quarterback #8
    Player Stats
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders HC Klint Kubiak declined to name a starting QB after the team’s second preseason game against the Texans on Thursday.

    Kirk Cousins didn’t play a snap in Thursday night’s game, but despite the decision not to dress his veteran QB, Kubiak opted not to commit to a starter just yet. Rookie Fernando Mendoza played the entire first half of yesterday’s game, completing 8-of-15 passes for 86 yards, with one of his incompletions resulting in an 80-yard pick-six. It’s long been believed that the Raiders’ plan entering this season was to go with Cousins as the starter before eventually making the move to Mendoza later in the year. While that may still end up being how things unfold, Kubiak’s decision not to name a starter on a night when several starters sat has raised questions ahead of the team’s third and final preseason game next week against the 49ers.
  • LAC Running Back #34
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers RB Keaton Mitchell rushed three times for minus-one yard in Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers, adding one reception for 11 yards.

    Mitchell’s box score would have looked a lot better if his 21-yard reception on a route out of the backfield had not been called back due to a penalty. Chargers starting RB Omarion Hampton played all three snaps on the opening drive before giving way to Mitchell, who played 10-of-10 snaps on the second and third drives. Fellow backup RB Kimani Vidal took the field as the Chargers’ kick returner to begin the game. He made his first appearance on offense on the Chargers’ fourth drive. Mitchell could return standalone FLEX value with big-play upside in this role. He reportedly visited the blue medical tent, but was allowed to return to the sideline. Hopefully, this is a non-issue.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers TE Charlie Kolar caught 1-of-1 targets for nine yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers.

    Kolar earned QB Justin Herbert’s first target of the night on a short out route to the left. Kolar secured the pass but stumbled and was brought down just shy of the first-down marker. PFF’s Nathan Jahnke notes that Kolar shared the field with TE David Njoku on two of the first three plays, but Kolar remained on the field for the Chargers’ first 11 personnel package. Kolar looks like the Chargers’ No. 1 tight end. He was a talented prospect but has contributed sparingly as a receiver in the NFL to this point, making him a coin-toss TE1/2 for fantasy.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    49ers WR De’Zhaun Stribling caught 4-of-5 targets for 46 yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the Chargers.

    Stribling starred on the 49ers’ first two drives. He caught three passes on the first drive, nabbing an eight-yard gain on a curl route, high-pointing a pass beyond the sticks and making a kneeling catch for a first down via a slant route from the perimeter. 49ers QB Brock Purdy beautifully threaded the needle to him on a post route downfield, sneaking the ball right past two defenders. Stribling nearly hauled in a 30-plus-yard pass down the left sideline, just a few yards from the end zone, but he couldn’t complete the catch. The result of that play might keep his ADP from inflating too much. The rookie wide receiver might warrant WR3 treatment right out of the gate.
  • LAC Wide Receiver #89
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers WR Brenen Thompson exited Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers after suffering an apparent injury.

    Thompson stopped by the blue medical tent before being taken to the locker room. This is a bummer. The speedy wide receiver played all three first-team reps with QB Justin Herbert. Herbert hung up his cleats for the night after that drive, but Thompson remained on the field, earning two targets from QB Trey Lance. The first yielded a seven-yard gain on a comeback route. The second was thrown 50-plus yards downfield. Thompson dove for it, but a defender likely got away with a DPI no-call, and Lance slightly overthrew the pass anyway. Hopefully, Thompson is only dealing with a minor injury and can continue his encouraging development soon. Chargers WRs Quentin Johnston and Tre’ Harris appear to be inactive.
  • JAC Wide Receiver #11
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Michael DiRocco reports that the Jaguars are “reluctant” to take WR Parker Washington off the field.

    DiRocco indicates that Washington is staying on the field for both 12 personnel and 11 personnel packages. He and WR Jakobi Meyers have reportedly led the position group in snaps this summer. Although Washington is dealing with an undisclosed injury at the moment, he is expected to return next week. DiRocco said on Tuesday that Washington has “established himself” as the team’s No. 1 wide receiver, which lines up with what we’ve been hearing all spring and summer.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders RB Mike Washington rushed nine times for 56 yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the Texans, adding two receptions for 18 yards.

    Washington looked good once again this week. His best play was an explosive gain on the Raiders’ first drive. Washington ran into the back of the line briefly but bounced off contact and took off downfield for a 33-yard gain. He was tackled by his shoestrings on the Texans’ 25-yard line. Unfortunately, the next play wasn’t great. Raiders QB Fernando Mendoza decided to check down to Washington on a play-action dropback, but the pass was intercepted and returned for an 80-yard touchdown. Texans LB Wade Woodaz made a great play on the ball. Washington possibly could have done a better job of maintaining spatial awareness and boxing Woodaz out, but the result of the play does not fall entirely on Washington’s shoulders. The rookie running back could offer standalone FLEX value this season. At worst, he is a high-upside stash.
  • LV Wide Receiver #9
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders WR Jalen Nailor caught 1-of-3 targets for 22 yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the Texans.

    Both Nailor and WR Jack Bech played tonight while WR Tre Tucker took the night off. Bech failed to earn a target and played into the fifth drive. Nailor called it a night after the third drive. The Raiders’ top-three wide receivers appear to be Tucker, Nailor and Bech, in that order. Tucker might warrant matchup-based FLEX treatment in 12-team leagues.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes (knee) is on track to play in Week 1 against the Broncos.

    The AFC West showdown takes place on September 14th, giving Mahomes just over three weeks to fit in a little extra rehab. Schefter adds that Mahomes has “cleared every hurdle” in training camp this summer. He has missed zero reps and reportedly “looks strong” on the practice field. Mahomes can be treated as a fantasy football QB1.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that 49ers TE George Kittle (Achilles) has a “legitimate chance to play” in Week 1 against the Rams.

    Kittle reportedly had “an encouraging visit” with his orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, today. According to Schefter, Kittle’s recovery is ahead of schedule, and he has a real chance to take a seat on the team plane when his team flies to Australia roughly one week before their Week 1 game kicks off. This is the second positive report regarding Kittle’s recovery this week. He remains a TE1 entering his age-32 season, coming off a season-ending injury.