Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

    Woody Marks runs for 20-yard touchdown vs. Raiders

    Link copied to clipboard!

    HOU Running Back #4
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Texans RB Woody Marks rushed four times for 37 yards and one touchdown in Thursday’s preseason game against the Raiders, adding one reception for six yards.

    The Texans gave RB David Montgomery the night off, so Marks got the start alongside QB C.J. Stroud. The second-year running back played 10-of-10 first-team snaps before retiring for the evening. Marks looked good tonight, particularly on his 20-yard touchdown run, which required him to weave through traffic and bounce off would-be tacklers twice. The fact that Marks played while Montgomery rested could suggest Montgomery is the clear-cut starter rather than a 1A to Marks’ 1B. The young running back is still worth drafting as a bench stash, with potential standalone FLEX viability
Barkley in support of RB contract extensions
Mike Florio and Michael Holley unpack notable RB contract extensions for Jonathan Taylor, Jahmyr Gibbs and more.

Related Player News

  • HOU Running Back #4
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Ryans said the same of Jayden Higgins. He talked about Marks looking faster and making better decisions. In other words, the game is slowing down for Marks as he enters his second NFL season. Houston had no choice but to load Marks up with touches as a rookie. He struggled to make much of the workload, turning 196 carries into 706 yards and just two touchdowns. The team then traded for David Montgomery in the offseason. Montgomery is locked in as the starter, but the comments about Marks could point toward more of a committee than fantasy managers have been expecting.
  • HOU Running Back #4
    Barrett said Marks will “pick up some third downs” while also adding he could see more work in the passing game. While David Montgomery, who was acquired from the Lions earlier this offseason, is expected to lead the Texans’ backfield in touches this season, any uptick in the passing game is good news for Marks and his fantasy managers. Marks caught just 24 passes as a rookie last season, but the former USC Trojan was among the best pass-catching backs in the 2025 draft class, and amassed 261 receptions for 1,546 yards and five touchdowns during his five college seasons. Barrett praised Marks for his increased pace of play last season as he became more acclimated to the pro game and said his confidence “is at an all-time high” entering this year. Depending on the volume he sees in the passing game, Marks could have some decent stand alone value in PPR leagues even with Montgomery likely handling most of the early-down and goal-line touches.
  • HOU Running Back #32
    Yesterday, Slater indicated that Montgomery will likely have “slightly” more work than RB Woody Marks this year. She went on Good Morning Football to clarify her comments today, saying the Texans envision “meaningful roles” for both players. NBC Houston’s Aaron Wilson reported something similar earlier this month. Early in June, NFL Network’s Cameron Wolfe reported that the Texans view Montgomery as “a potential three-down back if needed.” It sounds like that might not be needed. Slater notes, “one issue” is that both players must buy in to the idea of a split backfield, albeit with Montgomery in the lead role. Slater indicates that Montgomery wanted more work than he was getting with the Lions last year, and that the Texans “seemed like an attractive spot” for him. Houston, however, believed Montgomery would be “great for our guy, Woody Marks, who we already saw flashes from.” First-team training camp reps should help us assess whether a 55-45 split is in play. Stay tuned.
  • HOU Running Back #4
    Wilson writes that the Texans “envision a solid workload for Marks that includes third-down pass-catching duties and carries along with a new role on kickoff returns.” Texans RB coach and assistant head coach Danny Barrett said Marks’ “role is going to pick up some third downs, special teams,” and Marks adds that OC Nick Caley has him running “all types of routes.” It sounds like Marks will be involved on third down, but perhaps not featured. If Marks can secure the lead third-down role, and potentially the two-minute drill role, he may be able to generate PPR RB2 scam/FLEX stat lines this season.
  • HOU Running Back #32
    Caley called plays for the first time in his career last year. His neutral situation pass play rate varied dramatically at different points in the season, going from 55.1 percent before the Week 6 bye to 64.1 percent in Weeks 7-12. He dropped back down to 55.8 percent after that. We expect him to remain in this range in 2026. Caley also believes balance can be achieved via “the usage of different players,” and remarked positively on the versatility achieved by using multi-tight end sets. Heavier personnel packages allow one to “deploy different types of blocking schemes” and attack “different surfaces” while effectively extending the offensive line. New Texans starting RB David Montgomery should benefit from Caley’s renewed commitment to running a heavy, balanced offense.
  • HOU Running Back #32
    The “if needed” is a bit of a buzzkill, but it should surprise nobody if Montgomery is a heavy-touch player in Houston’s offense this season after coming over in an offseason trade. Woody Marks is not guaranteed to have a major role if Montgomery can handle third downs as well. Montgomery mostly ceded these roles to Jahmyr Gibbs with the Lions; it is no insult to Marks to note that he is not Gibbs.
  • HOU Running Back
    It’s a pay raise for Montgomery, who can make $16.5 million over two years. Per KPRC'2 Aaron Wilson, Montgomery’s upgraded contract also includes a $6.5 million signing bonus along with a fully guaranteed $1.5 million base salary for 2026, while his 2027 numbers will include a base salary of $7.5 million with $2 million of that guaranteed. Montgomery was previously owed non-guaranteed money for each of the next two seasons. The soon-to-be 29-year-old running back was acquired from the Lions in exchange for a 2026 fourth-round pick and a 2027 seventh-round pick and figures to be the RB1 of the Texans’ backfield in 2026.
  • HOU Running Back #5
    Just days after it was reported that Montgomery wanted out of Detroit — a report he refuted — the veteran running back is now on his way to Houston. The soon-to-be 29-year-old will presumably take over as the Texans’ RB1 this season with Joe Mixon likely on the way out, and Woody Marks an early candidate to handle more of a passing-downs role. Montgomery rushed 343 times for 1,491 yards and 20 touchdowns in his final two seasons in Detroit while catching another 60 passes for 533 scoreless yards. Barring an extension, Montgomery will enter 2026 with two years left on his contract with a chance to earn another deal in 2028. In addition to Scruggs, the Texans also sent a 2026 fourth-round pick and a 2027 seventh-round pick to the Lions.
  • DET Running Back #5
    Montgomery took to his X account to quote a report from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler that he wanted out of Detroit. The veteran running back wrote in his post, “Damn, Dmo told you that?” Suggesting reports of his desire to leave the Motor City are untrue. It’s not the first time we’ve seen players refute a report like this, and it won’t be the last. It’s also not uncommon to learn later down the road that these reports were true even if they didn’t come from the player himself. Either way, what we can confirm is that Montgomery had a career low in carries (158) and rushing yards (716) last season with the Lions and is under contract for two more seasons. With the Lions reportedly willing to move him for a Day 3 pick in this year’s draft, it’s possible his time with the team could come to an end whether he wants it to or not.
  • DET Running Back #5
    Montgomery “wants out” per Fowler, and Fowler connects him to the Seahawks if Seattle fails to re-sign Kenneth Walker. There’s an argument to be made that Montgomery would be an easy second place to Walker in the free agent rankings if he were actually a free agent. His workload has been kept low by years of splitting snaps with Jahmyr Gibbs, and he’s still in his late prime entering his age-29 season. The buzz continues to point towards Montgomery being moved.

Rotoworld

  • NYG Running Back #22
    Player Stats
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Jordan Raanan says Najee Harris “was brought in under the premise that he’s going to be a significant contributor” for the Giants this season.

    It’s worth noting that Cam Skattebo continues to be the first running back up in practice, but it sounds like the Giants could have a vision for Harris, who signed with the team on a one-year, minimum-salary deal, per Raanan. Harris is returning from a torn Achilles that ended his 2025 season in Week 3, but there’s plenty of room for him to earn snaps behind Skattebo once he gets up to speed. A blown pass-blocking assignment by Tyrone Tracy in the team’s first preseason game against the Vikings raised immediate questions about whether or not the Giants will trust Tracy in pass-blocking situations this season, and Harris has proven to be a capable pass-blocker in the past. At this point, it’s hard to imagine Harris having any standalone fantasy value in a healthy Giants backfield, but he could be worth a handcuff to Skattebo in deeper leagues based on these latest reports.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    The Athletic’s Jesse Newell reports the Chiefs have been “getting the ball to Kenneth Walker all the time” in camp.

    Newell writes that the way the Chiefs have been getting the ball to Walker has been “one of the most striking parts of camp,” while adding that Walker has been the primary target in the screen game and in the red zone. It’s about as encouraging a report as fantasy managers could hope for if they’re eyeing Walker in drafts this season. The 25-year-old back signed a three-year, $40.05 million contract with the Chiefs this offseason and could operate as the true bell cow in Andy Reid’s offense this season. Newell also noted that the Chiefs don’t appear to be alternating backs on every other series as they have in recent years, which would only raise Walker’s fantasy ceiling for this upcoming season. Walker already figures to be in the running for a top-12 fantasy season at his position, but he could be in line for a career year if his reported camp usage holds up in the regular season.
  • JAC Wide Receiver #11
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Parker Washington is expected to return to practice next week.

    Washington missed this week due to an undisclosed injury, but it doesn’t sound like this is anything to be too concerned about at this point. The fourth-year receiver is expected to make his return to the field next week and should be in position to be ready for the start of the season. Washington is coming off a breakout year in which he totaled 58 receptions for 847 yards and five touchdowns, and it was reported recently that the Jaguars seem “reluctant” to take him off the field, with some believing Washington has established himself as the WR1 for the Jags. He’s sounding more and more like a reliable WR2/WR3 as we enter prime fantasy draft season.
  • LV Quarterback #8
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders HC Klint Kubiak declined to name a starting QB after the team’s second preseason game against the Texans on Thursday.

    Kirk Cousins didn’t play a snap in Thursday night’s game, but despite the decision not to dress his veteran QB, Kubiak opted not to commit to a starter just yet. Rookie Fernando Mendoza played the entire first half of yesterday’s game, completing 8-of-15 passes for 86 yards, with one of his incompletions resulting in an 80-yard pick-six. It’s long been believed that the Raiders’ plan entering this season was to go with Cousins as the starter before eventually making the move to Mendoza later in the year. While that may still end up being how things unfold, Kubiak’s decision not to name a starter on a night when several starters sat has raised questions ahead of the team’s third and final preseason game next week against the 49ers.
  • LAC Running Back #34
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers RB Keaton Mitchell rushed three times for minus-one yard in Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers, adding one reception for 11 yards.

    Mitchell’s box score would have looked a lot better if his 21-yard reception on a route out of the backfield had not been called back due to a penalty. Chargers starting RB Omarion Hampton played all three snaps on the opening drive before giving way to Mitchell, who played 10-of-10 snaps on the second and third drives. Fellow backup RB Kimani Vidal took the field as the Chargers’ kick returner to begin the game. He made his first appearance on offense on the Chargers’ fourth drive. Mitchell could return standalone FLEX value with big-play upside in this role. He reportedly visited the blue medical tent, but was allowed to return to the sideline. Hopefully, this is a non-issue.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers TE Charlie Kolar caught 1-of-1 targets for nine yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers.

    Kolar earned QB Justin Herbert’s first target of the night on a short out route to the left. Kolar secured the pass but stumbled and was brought down just shy of the first-down marker. PFF’s Nathan Jahnke notes that Kolar shared the field with TE David Njoku on two of the first three plays, but Kolar remained on the field for the Chargers’ first 11 personnel package. Kolar looks like the Chargers’ No. 1 tight end. He was a talented prospect but has contributed sparingly as a receiver in the NFL to this point, making him a coin-toss TE1/2 for fantasy.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    49ers WR De’Zhaun Stribling caught 4-of-5 targets for 46 yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the Chargers.

    Stribling starred on the 49ers’ first two drives. He caught three passes on the first drive, nabbing an eight-yard gain on a curl route, high-pointing a pass beyond the sticks and making a kneeling catch for a first down via a slant route from the perimeter. 49ers QB Brock Purdy beautifully threaded the needle to him on a post route downfield, sneaking the ball right past two defenders. Stribling nearly hauled in a 30-plus-yard pass down the left sideline, just a few yards from the end zone, but he couldn’t complete the catch. The result of that play might keep his ADP from inflating too much. The rookie wide receiver might warrant WR3 treatment right out of the gate.
  • LAC Wide Receiver #89
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers WR Brenen Thompson exited Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers after suffering an apparent injury.

    Thompson stopped by the blue medical tent before being taken to the locker room. This is a bummer. The speedy wide receiver played all three first-team reps with QB Justin Herbert. Herbert hung up his cleats for the night after that drive, but Thompson remained on the field, earning two targets from QB Trey Lance. The first yielded a seven-yard gain on a comeback route. The second was thrown 50-plus yards downfield. Thompson dove for it, but a defender likely got away with a DPI no-call, and Lance slightly overthrew the pass anyway. Hopefully, Thompson is only dealing with a minor injury and can continue his encouraging development soon. Chargers WRs Quentin Johnston and Tre’ Harris appear to be inactive.
  • JAC Wide Receiver #11
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Michael DiRocco reports that the Jaguars are “reluctant” to take WR Parker Washington off the field.

    DiRocco indicates that Washington is staying on the field for both 12 personnel and 11 personnel packages. He and WR Jakobi Meyers have reportedly led the position group in snaps this summer. Although Washington is dealing with an undisclosed injury at the moment, he is expected to return next week. DiRocco said on Tuesday that Washington has “established himself” as the team’s No. 1 wide receiver, which lines up with what we’ve been hearing all spring and summer.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders RB Mike Washington rushed nine times for 56 yards in Thursday’s preseason game against the Texans, adding two receptions for 18 yards.

    Washington looked good once again this week. His best play was an explosive gain on the Raiders’ first drive. Washington ran into the back of the line briefly but bounced off contact and took off downfield for a 33-yard gain. He was tackled by his shoestrings on the Texans’ 25-yard line. Unfortunately, the next play wasn’t great. Raiders QB Fernando Mendoza decided to check down to Washington on a play-action dropback, but the pass was intercepted and returned for an 80-yard touchdown. Texans LB Wade Woodaz made a great play on the ball. Washington possibly could have done a better job of maintaining spatial awareness and boxing Woodaz out, but the result of the play does not fall entirely on Washington’s shoulders. The rookie running back could offer standalone FLEX value this season. At worst, he is a high-upside stash.