Darrell Wallace Jr. returns to Xfinity Series for Sept. 16 Chicagoland race
After missing the last 12 races, Darrell Wallace Jr. will return to the Xfinity Series for the Sept. 16 race at Chicagoland Speedway.
Richard Petty Motorsports and Biagi DenBeste Racing announced Thursday the 23-year-old driver will pilot the latter team’s No. 98 Nickelodeon Slime Ford in the race.
It will be Wallace’s first Xfinity race since the June 10 event at Pocono Raceway. After that race, Roush Fenway Racing closed down operations on the No. 6 car Wallace had driven since 2015.
Wallace then drove Richard Petty Motorsports’ No. 43 car in four Cup races in substitution of the injured Aric Almirola.
Since his last Cup race at Kentucky Speedway in July, Wallace competed in and won the Camping World Truck Series race at Michigan International Speedway on Aug. 12.
“I’m really glad to get back behind the wheel of a race car,” Wallace said in a press release. “Chicago has always been a decent track for me where I’ve had some good finishes. I’m excited to get back in the Xfinity Series in a Ford Mustang. With the history with Biagi DenBeste Racing and RPM, we should have some good speed. It’s really cool to be paired with Nickelodeon. We’ve formed a great relationship over the past three years, and we’re able to do these one-off races to attract the youth to the sport. With such a cool looking car this weekend, I think we’ll do just that.”
Wallace’s paint scheme will be one of six at Chicago that will be inspired by Nickelodeon and its “Tales of the Turtle” TV show.
Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
- Matt DiBenedetto will carry the “Samurai” paint scheme on his Go Fas Racing Ford.
- Jeffrey Earnhardt will have “BeBop” and “Rocksteady” on his Circle Sport Chevy.
- Bubba Wallace will showcase “Nickelodeon Slime” on his Biagi DenBeste Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports Ford.
- Matt Tifft will have “Lone Rat and Cub” on his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota.
Camping World Truck Series
- John Hunter Nemechek will have “Undead Shredder” on his NEMCO Motorsports Chevy.
- Jennifer Jo Cobb will carry “Rebel Road” on her JJC Chevy.