Martin Truex Jr. tops Cup Series lap leaders in 2016
A lot of laps were run in the 2016 Sprint Cup season.
From February to November, there were 10,523 laps were logged over 36 races.
Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 drivers in laps led in 2016. Topping the list is Martin Truex Jr., who led a career-high 1,809 laps. His previous best was 581 in 2007.
Martin Truex Jr. - 1,809
Kevin Harvick - 1,384; Career best - 2,294 (2015)
Kyle Busch - 1,379; Career best - 1,673 (2008)
Matt Kenseth - 928; Career best - 1,783 (2013)
Carl Edwards - 918; Career best - 1,282 (2008)
Jimmie Johnson - 737; Career best - 2,238 (2009)
Joey Logano - 703; Career best - 1,431 (2015)
Brad Keselowski - 549; Career best - 1,540 (2014)
Denny Hamlin - 524; Career best - 1,380 (2009)
Kyle Larson - 379 (career best)
Other notes of interest
- Dale Earnhardt Jr., Alex Bowman and Jeff Gordon combined to lead 260 laps in the No. 88 car.
- Trevor Bayne led a career-best 34 laps.
- Landon Cassill led a career-best 20 laps, all coming in the spring Bristol race. He led more laps than Austin Dillon (17), Chris Buescher (12), Ryan Blaney (11) and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (six).
- Tony Stewart led 36 laps in his final season of NASCAR competition.
- Kasey Kahne and Jamie McMurray did not lead a single lap during the season, despite Kahne running a series-high 10,355 laps.