Elway can’t imagine a coach that wouldn’t want Tebow
We’ve already gone over the broad strokes of John Elway’s introductory press conference with the Broncos. Here are a few other newsy items to come from the session, including updates on Jim Harbaugh and Tim Tebow.
1. Elway said he would call Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh Wednesday or Thursday. (Might want to get on that.) Elway said he’d absolutely be interested in Harbaugh if he was interested in coaching at the pro level.
2. Elway lit up when talking about Tim Tebow, saying he was everything the team expected. Elway mentioned he could help with quarterbacks. “Tim Tebow is a darn good football player. What we’ve got to make him is a darn good quarterback.”
3. The next coach will decide who the starting quarterback is. But Elway can’t imagine a head coach that wouldn’t want to coach Tebow. While it’s early, it definitely didn’t sound like the Broncos would be thinking quarterback at the No. 2 overall pick.
4. Kyle Orton also earned some praise, but Elway was less excited. He said Orton needed to be evaluated when asked about a possible trade. Elway was also vague about Champ Bailey’s status, but said the cornerback would have fit right in on championship Broncos teams.
5. “If there’s a difference between [G.M. Brian] Xanders and the head coach, it’s my job to break that tie,” Elway said.