Report: Al Davis overrules decision to cut Mike Mitchell
Remember Mike Mitchell? He was the No. 47 overall pick in the 2009 draft, the safety from Ohio University that Mike Mayock and the rest of the nation of draftniks thought Oakland took about five rounds too early.
On Saturday, Mitchell was reportedly the subject of a behind-the-scenes battle between Raiders owner Al Davis and the team’s coaching staff. We’ll let you guess who won.
Let’s back the story up for a minute. 2010 Seventh-round Raiders safety Stevie Brown practiced on Saturday. He spoke with the media about making the team. But when the Raiders officially released their cuts Saturday afternoon, they still had one move left to make.
Here’s where it gets fun.
A Florida radio host Andy Slater that claims to be a former Raiders employee said that Brown was going to get the axe on his Twitter page. This was hours before he news came out. He also reported that “everyone in the organization” except Al Davis wanted to cut Mitchell instead of Brown. Davis essentially wanted to avoid the P.R. hit and admit he made such a big mistake last year. (Maybe Davis told them Mitchell “is a great player. Get over it.”)
Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune breaks down the timeline of Slater’s tweets, which are fascinating. It’s hard to doubt him when he nailed the news before it happened.
Apparently the coaching staff pushed hard for Brown, who also has impressed teammates. But after the Raiders couldn’t find a taker for Mitchell in a trade, they cut Brown. (Even if they didn’t officially mention it on their website until very late last night.)
“Let me be clear, for those tweeting me on Mitchell/Raiders, coaches do NOT want him. Addition by subtraction,” Slater wrote.
But as we know, coaches don’t always get what they want. Especially in Oakland.
Just another day in Raider Nation.