Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Report: Hurricanes owner being sued by his three sons

2013 USA Hockey Hall of Fame

DETROIT, MI - DECEMBER 02: Peter Karmanos, Jr., the owner and chief executive officer of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, talks to the media at a meet and greet prior to her USA Hockey Hall of Fame induction at the Motor City Casino on December 2, 2013 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Back in 2013, Jason Karmanos was fired by the Carolina Hurricanes after 15 years as their assistant GM.

It was a pretty noteworthy firing, since the Hurricanes are owned by his dad, Peter.

“The disagreement I had with my father had nothing to do with the direction of the team or the business of the team,” Jason Karmanos said at the time. “This has nothing to do with my job performance.”

Three years later and it seems Karmanos family relations are only getting worse.

From WDIV ClickOnDetroit:

The Karmanos family, businessman Peter Karmanos and his three elder sons, are fighting over more than $100 million.

The case is now in Oakland County Circuit Court. The dispute centers on Karmanos’s will, which stands to give substantial amounts of money to his sons. The problem? Pete Karmanos borrowed millions of dollars from trusts, made up of Compuware stock, promised to his three sons, Peter the third, Nick and Jason.

The trusts are valued at over $100 million, but over the years, Pete Sr. borrowed against the account to fund his beloved Carolina Hurricanes hockey team.

The details of the lawsuit are in the story. Basically, the sons are saying the father defaulted on the loan. Which, naturally, has raised questions about the financial health of the Hurricanes owner.

Jason Karmanos, by the way, is currently VP of hockey operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins, whose general manager is former ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford.

The two teams haven’t had the best relationship either.

Related: Hurricanes president denies team could move to Quebec