Fred Jackson says contract “not a concern” at Bills workouts
We’ve seen plenty of players jockeying for new contracts opt out of voluntary workouts over the years.
Bills running back Fred Jackson is taking a different approach. He joined his Bills teammates as the offseason program got underway on Monday even though he has been angling for a new deal with the team for some time. Jackson claimed he wasn’t worried about the business side of things and was only upset to see the snow that dumped on the Buffalo area over the weekend.
“It’s not a concern at all for me,” Jackson said, via Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 Radio. “I’m going to continue to show up and be with my teammates and that’s what I’m doing, showing up and trying to get ready for the 2012 season. I want something done, but I’m under contract so I’ll continue to work. It’s what I do, I come to work and it’s part of what’s being voted as a captain last year, you have to show up and do things like this, you want everybody to follow the lead that you do so that’s what I’m here doing now.”
Jackson’s comfort level is likely influenced by Bills General Manager Buddy Nix’s promise that the team would give him an extension before the start of training camp. The biggest question will be how such an extension is structured.
Jackson is due to make $1.955 million this year. The Bills are in position to give him an ample raise this season, but they probably don’t want to be on the hook for too much guaranteed money in the future for a running back at Jackson’s age. Productive as he’s been over the last three years, Jackson just turned 31 and that’s a scary age for a lot of running backs. With both sides acting in good faith, it’s likely that they’ll be able to figure out something that keeps Jackson in Buffalo a while longer.