PHT Morning Skate: Nylander on contract; Smith-Pelly wants change
Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Up top, if you missed it, enjoy the highlights of Thursday’s 13-goal Penguins-Capitals game.
• Gritty is getting his own hockey card. [Upper Deck]
• Erik Karlsson on his exit from Ottawa: “They had me traded in February already at the deadline, we were told [Karlsson and Bobby Ryan] were pretty much gone. That was very tough to hear. At that point I think both me and my wife said we can’t control this, and when the time comes we’ll deal with it then.” [Ottawa Citizen]
• Speaking to Swedish outlet Aftonbladet, Maple Leafs forward William Nylander, who’s currently without a contract, spoke about his situation: “In the end I have to take care of myself and do what I and my agent thinks is right. Especially if it’s about several years to come. I need to think long term. It’s my own future it’s about.” [Sportsnet]
• A great read on Devante Smith-Pelly of the Washington Capitals and his goal to change the culture in hockey. [ESPN]
• A broken jaw will sideline Jesper Bratt, opening the door for the New Jersey Devils to sign Drew Stafford, who’s been on a PTO. [Devils]
• The ECHL has announced it will test video replay of goals in four arenas this season. [ECHL]
• The Ottawa Senators are prepared for the 2018-19 season with an us-against-the-world mentality. [TSN]
• Why Dylan Larkin is the building block the Detroit Red Wings need. [USA Today]
• For Mikko Koivu, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, is this their last chance at glory? [Star Tribune]
• What’s life like for two franchise — Ottawa and the Islanders — who have watched their franchise players go? [Sporting News]
• What Dmitry Jaskin brings to the Washington Capitals. [RMNB]
• Five reasons why Colorado Avalanche fans should be excited about this season. [Mile High Hockey]
• Finally, “Gritty” continued his media rounds by appearing on the Conan O’Brien show this week: