Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
View All Scores

Bournemouth 1-1 Watford: Gomes denies Cherries

  • Murray scores first Cherries goal
  • But then misses late PK
  • Ighalo equalizes after Boruc blunder
  • Newly-promoted teams 3rd draw in 4 meetings

Bournemouth drew 1-1 with Watford on Saturday at the Vitality Stadium, as the Cherries squandered a great chance to grab three points at home.

Glenn Murray, starting in place of the injured Callum Wilson, put Bournemouth 1-0 up with a fine header in the first half. However, a terrible blunder from home goalkeeper Artur Boruc right on half time let in Odion Ighalo to make it 1-1.

In an even second half the Cherries were given a penalty late on by Heurelho Gomes saved Murray’s spot kick to grab a point for the Hornets.

With the draw, Bournemouth remain on eight points while Watford is on 10.

[ MORE: Watch full match replays ]

After dominating the early stages and looking particularly dangerous down the right flank, Bournemouth looked the more likely to take the lead and in the 27th minute they did.

Good interchange down the right saw Matt Richie cut in on his left foot and the Scotland international whipped in a perfect cross to the back post. Lurking on the last man was veteran forward Murray, and the former Crystal Palace man headed home into the top corner from six-yards out for his first Cherries goal.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

Watford tried their best to get back into the game before half time and right on the interval they were handed a gift of an equalizer. The ball was played back to goalkeeper by Sylvain Distin and Boruc’s weak pass was intercepted by Ighalo who then rounded the Bournemouth stopper before slotting home. 1-1.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Buoyed by their equalizer, Watford pushed hard to go ahead in the second half as Ben Watson rattled the crossbar and Anya should have done better as he raced cleared down the left flank.

[ MORE: Click here for full lineups, stats, box score ]

Bournemouth hung on and launched an assault on Watford’s goal late on with Dan Gosling teeing up Steve Cook who attempted an audacious overhead kick from outside the box which Gomes saved superbly.

Then came a huge moment in the game as Adam Smith was clumsily fouled by Etienne Capoue in the box and referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot. Up stepped Murray, but Gomes dove to his left and saved the poor penalty to deny Murray his and Bournemouth’s second goal of the game.

That’s how things ended, as the two newly-promoted teams shared the spoils.

Follow @JPW_NBCSports