Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

    Garafolo: Mayfield and Bucs not close on new deal

    Link copied to clipboard!
    Link copied to clipboard!

    NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports the Buccaneers and Baker Mayfield are “not close” on an extension.

    “There’s a lot of work that needs to be done on this one,” Garafolo continued. “The Bucs are in no rush.” All outward projections have been that Mayfield and the Buccaneers will eventually find a middle ground, and Todd Bowles recently said that there’s “absolutely no question” he wants Mayfield as his quarterback for a long term. But it does seem like the two sides have very different dollar values attached to Mayfield and that this might be something that simmers into training camp.
Assessing Tagovailoa's poor practice performance
The Dan Le Batard crew discusses Atlanta Falcons quarterback Tua Tagovailoa's poor practice performance, and how the quarterback stacks up in the game of the NFL.

Related Player News

  • TB Quarterback #6
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Mayfield played just two series and was without his top four receivers, with only Bucky Irving and Kenny Gainwell joining him as presumed regular starters. Even so, the offense was hardly able to showcase its upside against backup members of the Kansas City defense. Whether Mayfield and the rest of the starters play in the team’s final preseason game next week remains to be seen, but there appears to be significant room for improvement before they kick off the regular season against the Bengals in three weeks.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    If Mayfield is to be believed, the Bucs don’t want to pay him like a franchise passer. Mayfield told ESPN last week that he was offered a two-year deal worth less than $50 million per year by the Bucs. Coming off a down season, Licht apparently wasn’t willing to commit to his supposed franchise quarterback long-term. Now Mayfield will play out the final year of his current contract before becoming a free agent next offseason. If he plays well, expect the Bucs to use the franchise tag to prevent him from leaving.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    Tampa’s two-year offer to Mayfield was reportedly close to “two years worth of franchise tags,” so it certainly seems like they’re going to do this after the season. Mayfield, entering into his age-32 season in 2027, would then be a potential trade candidate or could negotiate a long-term extension with Buccaneers depending on how this year goes. It does seem like the Bucs don’t really have any intention on letting Mayfield leave despite not extending him.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    This is presumably in reference to the comments Mayfield made publicly on Thursday, when he said he felt “disrespected a little bit” about the fact that the two sides had not agreed to a contract extension earlier this offseason. Mayfield officially tabled negotiations with the team at the start of training camp and appears set to play out 2026 on the final year of a three-year, $100 million contract he signed with the team in 2024. Mayfield, who also said he felt “undervalued” by the team, is coming off a down season in which he threw for 3,693 yards, 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, but he also played through injuries and was without his top weapon, Mike Evans, for much of the season. Another strong season like we saw from Mayfield in 2024 (4,500-41-16) will be guaranteed to drive up his asking price next offseason.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    Mayfield added that he was looking to make $50 million per year and the Bucs’ offer was “pretty far” from that figure. Based on Mayfield’s comments, the Bucs wanted to offer him nearly the same contract as Daniel Jones. Though Mayfield is coming off a down year, his track record in Tampa Bay is far better than Jones’ in Indy, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he declined their proposal. Now he is heading into a contract year, with the potential to make a fortune in free agency if he has a rebound season.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    Mayfield had imposed a strict deadline for extension negotiations, one that expired when he reported to camp. That sets him up to play the 2026 season on the final year of his three-year contract with the team, during which he will earn just under $40 million and placing him at 16th in average annual value. Expect the two sides to revisit discussions following the conclusion of the season.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    Mayfield has been seeking a new contract from the Bucs all offseason, and earlier this month it was reported that the two sides were “not close” to a new deal. Mayfield has also reportedly set a training camp deadline for when he will stop all discussions with the team, although it’s unclear if that deadline is by the time players report (Tuesday) or when the team takes the field for its first practice (Wednesday). If a new deal isn’t agreed to, Mayfield would presumably prepare to play out 2026 on the one year remaining on his deal, which will pay him a base salary of $10 million.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    This is the kind of thing we like to hear for QB Baker Mayfield and his pass catchers. Robinson did not feature play action during his two seasons as the Falcons’ offensive coordinator, nor did former Buccaneers OC Josh Grizzard, so Otton’s comments are reassuring. Per PFF, NFL offenses averaged 7.76 yards per pass play with play action and just 6.72 without it. Upping the play action rate should help the Buccaneers run a more efficient offense in 2026.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    Breer believes they’ll get something done before Week 1 and thinks it will be in the neighborhood of $165 million over three years — a slight bit of cap inflation from contracts for Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence, Jordan Love, and Justin Herbert are. The lack of progress on an extension this summer likely doesn’t mean much — deadlines drive action — and we’ve seen nothing so far that would lead us to believe the Buccaneers won’t reward Mayfield.
  • TB Quarterback #6
    This comes from a post that Buccaneers beat writer Rick Stroud wrote after having a chance to watch the series. In addition to the knee injuries, Stroud notes that Mayfield also had a “bad biceps contusion” that affected his velocity, in addition to the left shoulder injury he suffered in Week 12 against the Rams. Hopefully a healthy offseason and a chance to fully rehab these injuries will go a long way in Mayfield having a bounce back season after he was visibly struggling during various points of last season. The 31-year-old QB is entering the final year of his deal with the Buccaneers, and while he has expressed interest in signing a long-term extension, recent reports suggest he and the Bucs are nowhere near an agreement on a new contract.

Rotoworld

  • LV Running Back #2
    Player Stats
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Raiders RB Ashton Jeanty “got hurt in practice today and could not put pressure on his leg when leaving the field.”

  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Jets signed RB Dominic Richardson, formerly of the Titans.

    The Jets also brought aboard EDGE Anthony Dunn and S Tanner Wall. The Jets correspondingly waived WR Caullin Lacy, RB Sam Scott and EDGE Nate Voorhis with injury designations. It is possible the team will re-sign all three to injured reserve.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    49ers RB Christian McCaffrey (tightness) said taking time off in training camp “was kind of part of the plan from the jump.”

    The most important takeaway is that McCaffrey has resumed practicing. Whether the planned aspect is true or not is secondary. That said, one wonders why the team chose to say their star running back was sidelined by “tightness,” rather than simply telling reporters he was taking veteran rest days, which is quite common for a 30-year-old player. McCaffrey said the team wanted him to “ramp up pretty big” early on, before taking time off, and later initiating another ramp-up period, “so we’re fresh for the duration.” McCaffrey says he feels “fresh” after taking nearly two weeks off. We would hope so. He’s a locked-in RB1 at this time.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Browns coach Todd Monken plans to announce the team’s starting quarterback on Monday.

    Second-year Browns QB Shedeur Sanders outplayed veteran QB Deshaun Watson on Saturday. Watson then followed up his poor performance with an ill-advised press conference, in which he briefly touched on the fan base’s “disrespectful” reaction to his 2024 Achilles tendon rupture, among other things. ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported earlier today that the team must decide whether Watson is “in a good enough space to be the leader for this team,” adding that Sanders’ “presence” and “aura” have helped him curry favor with people in the Browns’ organization. At the end of the day, Sanders is likely the better bet to provide the requisite passing game stability for a couple of Browns’ pass catchers to maintain weekly starting consideration in fantasy, though Sanders himself is unlikely to be anything more than a QB2 in superflex leagues.
  • NYG Wide Receiver #1
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Giants coach John Harbaugh said there is “a chance” WR Malik Nabers (knee) sheds his red non-contact jersey this week.

    Things are still up in the air on this one. Harbaugh said it’s “a possibility” that Nabers ditches the red non-contact jersey, but added that he doesn’t think it’s “a necessity” to do so this week. The season opener is exactly three weeks away, so delaying the decision by a week might be fine. Nabers is seemingly on track to face the Cowboys in Week 1.
  • LAC Wide Receiver #9
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers WR Tre’ Harris (undisclosed) was limited on Saturday.

    Harris missed a few practices last week with an undisclosed injury, and the team kept him inactive for Thursday’s preseason game against the 49ers. Reports on the matter have been sparse, but it appears as though Saturday’s limited session was his first action since the week prior. According to ESPN’s Kris Rhim, Harris snagged “a bunch of catches” before exiting team drills and spent “most of the day” working off to the side with Chargers trainers. The Athletic’s Daniel Popper has viewed Chargers WR Quentin Johnston as the team’s No. 2 wide receiver. Johnston dealt with a minor ankle injury last week, but Rhim says Johnston looks “healthy” after observing him come down with “a leaping touchdown grab during a red zone period.” Harris is attempting to unseat him, yet would still warrant a late-round fantasy draft pick even if he begins the season in his current No. 3 role.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers LT Rashawn Slater (knee) was seen practicing on Sunday.

    Slater resumed practicing in a limited capacity yesterday after taking two weeks off due to a “little flare-up” in his surgically repaired knee. Slater, 27, suffered a season-ending patellar tendon rupture in August last year. A few weeks ago, the Chargers’ left tackle was reportedly working toward taking three reps in a row while improving his conditioning. It is unclear what type of progress, if any, he was able to make during his two-week absence, but we should find out soon enough. Coach Jim Harbaugh said he hopes to play his starters through two full drives in Thursday’s preseason game against the Rams. Hopefully, Slater accomplishes that feat without issue. Stay tuned.
  • LAC Running Back #34
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Chargers RB Keaton Mitchell (undisclosed) did not practice on Sunday.

    This is worth keeping an eye on. Mitchell’s preseason usage indicates he is the Chargers’ clear-cut No. 2 running back, operating in what could be a FLEX-viable role. Mitchell played on 10-of-10 possible snaps across the Chargers’ second and third drives in last week’s preseason game before taking a trip to the blue medical tent. He avoided a trip to the locker room and was allowed to return to the sidelines thereafter. Although the latter aspect is encouraging, today’s absence suggests he is at least a minor injury. The coaching staff is not required to divulge injury information until Week 1 practices begin. Hopefully, someone digs up something useful on this, though. For now, keep drafting him as planned, but be on the lookout for updates.
  • DAL Running Back #20
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    The Athletic’s Jon Machota believes Malik Davis will start the season as the Cowboys’ RB2.

    Davis got the start in Saturday’s preseason game against the Cardinals, rushing five times for 29 yards while adding one catch for eight yards and a touchdown. The 27-year-old back has gained steam in recent weeks as the favorite to win the Cowboys’ RB2 job out of camp, but Machota also said he believes “Jaydon Blue takes (the RB2 job) during the season.” Blue rushed 15 times for a team-high 75 yards in Saturday’s win over the Cardinals, ripping off multiple chunk gains on the day. While we still have one preseason game left to go, it sounds like fantasy managers looking for the handcuff to Javonte Williams should target Davis in the late/final rounds of drafts at this point.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Christian McCaffrey (tightness) returned to practice on Sunday.

    On the same day the Niners saw George Kittle return from his Achilles injury, the team also got back McCaffrey, who had been sidelined since August 10th due to his “tightness.” Assuming he doesn’t miss any more time and we don’t hear anything else about this injury or a new one, McCaffrey appears to be in good shape to be ready in time for the Niners’ Week 1 opener when they take on the Rams in Australia 18 days from now.