Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

    McVay: Nacua still has soreness in groin

    Link copied to clipboard!

    LA Wide Receiver #12
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Rams HC Sean McVay said Puka Nacua is still dealing with soreness in his groin.

    Nacua suffered a groin injury nearly a week ago and is still dealing with soreness. McVay said last week that he expects Nacua to return sometime this week, but the starting receiver was not on the field during Monday’s practice. McVay didn’t say which day he expects Nacua to be back, noting that the team prefers to “err on the side of caution” with soft-tissue injuries.
Why NFL teams downplay training camp injuries
Mike Florio explains why NFL franchises downplay training camp injuries with the league rules and strategic advantages at play to this approach.

Related Player News

  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    McVay was helpfully forthcoming with information today, telling reporters that Nacua’s absence is specifically due to soreness in his psoas muscle. Nacua does not seem to be at risk of missing any time in the regular season, and should return with more than enough time to ramp up for Week 1. He is deservedly a top-five pick in fantasy drafts.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    This is mostly just for bookkeeping purposes, though it’s now been three days since Nacua was able to practice in full. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport has reported Nacua is dealing with “minor soreness,” but “minor soreness” has a way of spiraling when teams aren’t required to actually be honest with their injury reports during training camp. The most important thing is, there has been zero indication Nacua’s Week 1 status is in doubt. We will let you know if that changes.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Nacua left practice with a trainer early on Tuesday. Head coach Sean McVay initially was unsure on what Nacua was dealing with, but Rapoport now reports the 25-year-old is managing groin soreness. The Rams are being cautious with a minor injury but no reason for fantasy managers to fret; Nacua may miss some preseason time but there is no indication he is in danger of missing any regular season games.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Same. We’ll monitor this, but there’s not any actionable advice to hand out until we get a more detailed report. A non-minor Nacua injury, of course, would be stratospheric news in the fantasy community.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Nacua has had a civil lawsuit filed against him for biting a woman and making an “unprovoked antisemtic sentiment.” The star receiver checked in to a luxury treatment center this past offseason. Schefter confirmed that the NFL is still discussing potential discipline for Nacua and Rams LT Alaric Jackson. This probably isn’t something to be overly concerned about in fantasy drafts — we suspect any suspension for Nacua would be short-term — but Schefter believes it’s possible that Nacua is suspended for the Rams opener against the 49ers.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    According to Atkins, Nacua made some off-field changes this spring after spending time at a holistic care facility. Although the “best shape of his life” storylines are often overplayed, Nacua’s improved offseason workout and diet habits reportedly have him “gliding faster downfield than he has before.” Nacua will remain a “rugged” centerfield dominator as he contends for the overall WR1 finish in fantasy, but it sounds like the Rams may also be honing his downfield route running, entering his age-25 season. Being a more complete receiver is only a good thing for his fantasy-scoring outlook.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Rapoport said point blank, “Do not expect a Puka Nacua contract extension before the season. Do not.” Nacua is arguably the best receiver in the league, but off-field issues have become a serious concern, to the point that the Rams aren’t interested in signing him to a long-term deal at this moment. Nacua is set to hit free agency next offseason, but the Rams would simply place the franchise tag on him if they don’t have a deal in place before the new league year. The good news is that, according to Rapoport, Nacua is in a better place mentally than he has been in previous training camps. If Nacua can keep his head on straight and make it through the 2026 season without any more incidents, he will become the highest-paid non-quarterback in the league next year.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Entering the final year of his rookie contract, there was some speculation that Nacua would hold out for an extension this offseason. That said, Nacua was present with the team in April for their offseason program, never truly giving any credence to the rumors. The somewhat troubled offseason notwithstanding, Nacua sets up well to return first-round value in fantasy circles as the primary option through the air for the Rams in 2026.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    The last we heard of Nacua, he was being checked into a “luxury treatment facility” in Malibu just days after he was alleged to have bitten a woman and made “unprovoked antisemitic remarks” to her. It’s been a tumultuous few months for the 24-year-old receiver who has taken the league by storm since joining the Rams as a fifth-round pick back in 2023. Now in the final year of his rookie contract, Nacua faces the possibility of having to play out the year without an extension, given his current situation. The fact that he’s back with the Rams for their offseason program is a sign that things are trending in the right direction for him. We’ll see where things go from here.
  • LA Wide Receiver #12
    Nacua’s attorney, Levi McCathern, told The California Post that the 24-year-old has checked into a rehab facility in Malibu. Nacua has popped up in the news cycle most recently for a civil lawsuit in Los Angeles alleging he bit a woman on New Year’s Eve and made an “unprovoked antisemitic sentiment.” McCathern said, “the combination of stories ya’ll have run is certainly a contributing factor” to Nacua’s entry into the treatment center. Rams head coach Sean McVay said Monday he’s hopeful Nacua can grow from his offseason incidents and hopes he is a Ram for a “really long time.” Nacua is eligible for a contract extension soon, though contract negotiations may be slower than they were for his draft classmate, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, as he works through his treatment amid recent incidents.

Rotoworld

  • NO Running Back #41
    Player Stats
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Alvin Kamara exited Tuesday’s scrimmage against the Cowboys with a knee injury.

    The Saints are obviously going to take every necessary precaution, but it’s still a situation to monitor. The 31-year-old tailback is likely to have a reduced role after the club brought in Travis Etienne in free agency, but because of his ability as a pass-catcher, still has a chance to be a productive fantasy player. There should be further updates on Kamara’s knee soon.
    - Christopher Crawford
  • DAL Running Back #23
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Jaydon blue missed Tuesday’s scrimmage against the Saints due to a shoulder injury.

    Blue was able to go for the preseason opener against the Seahawks on Saturday, but was held out of action for the combined practice. He’s attempting to win the backup tailback job and competing with Malik Davis for that honor.
    - Christopher Crawford
  • NO Wide Receiver #11
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Ronnie Bell was carted off during Tuesday’s scrimmage against the Cowboys with a heat-related issue.

    Bell should be able to return to practice in the coming days. The 26-year-old is one of a handful of wideouts competing for the final spots in the Saints’ receiving room.
    - Christopher Crawford
  • SF Defensive Lineman #97
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters that Nick Bosa (knee) is making progress.

    Shanahan noted that the tendinitis that has been bothering Bosa has been “subsiding” over the past few days. The 28-year-old defender missed Tuesday’s scrimmage against the Chargers, but it sounds like he should be back in action in a relative short time.
    - Christopher Crawford
  • NO Wide Receiver #11
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Ronnie Bell left Tuesday’s scrimmage against the Cowboys with an apparent lower-body injury.

    Bell had to be carted off the field. The 26-year-old is competing for one of the final spots on the Saints’ roster. Further updates on Bell should be available in the coming days.
    - Christopher Crawford
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Free agent WR Chase Claypool worked out for the Saints on Tuesday.

    He was joined by Josh Reynolds. The Saints are apparently looking to add to the depth of the room with the news that Jordyn Tyson will miss time early in the season with a hamstring injury. Claypool worked out for the Colts in late July and with the Packers in rookie minicamp. He’s trying to find another shot in the league.
  • FA Cornerback #28
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Free agent CB Trevon Diggs worked out for the Seahawks on Tuesday.

    Perhaps they’re looking for shorter-term help than Terrion Arnold is able to give them now that he’ll be on the commissioner’s exempt list if signed. Diggs worked out with the Lions earlier in August. He’s looking to find a new team after hitting free agency for the first time this offseason following a tumultuous ending with the Cowboys.
  • LAC Wide Receiver #1
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Quentin Johnston (undisclosed) is not expected to miss much, if any, practice time.

    Johnston limped off at today’s 49ers-Chargers joint practice but it seems like this isn’t serious. A source told Schefter that Johnston was “totally fine.”
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Colts CB Charvarius Ward (back) is sidelined indefinitely.

    Ward was contemplating retirement this offseason due to a scary amount of documented concussions, but gave it a go at training camp only to wind up missing tons of time due to this back injury. The 30-year-old will start for the Colts if he’s healthy for Week 1, but that sounds like an open question at this time.
  • IND Running Back #21
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    The Athletic’s James Boyd left DJ Giddens off his 53-man roster projection.

    It’s been hard to find a good word from a beat on Giddens this offseason, so this isn’t an overly surprising conclusion to see listed out. He’s been sidelined for most of camp with a hamstring injury. The Colts look like they’ll keep Seth McGowan as their main backup to Jonathan Taylor. In this projection, Giddens loses the third running back spot to Ulysses Bentley IV.