What we know about incoming Golden State owner Joe Lacob
Golden State fans have proceeded under this premise: Any owner not named Al Davis was going to be better than Chris Cohan.
On that scale, Joe Lacob (and partner Peter Guber) qualifies. But what kind of owners will they be? Lacob, who will be the front man and was a minority owner in Boston, did a ton of television, radio and newspaper interviews around the Bay Area Wednesday. Tim Kawakami broke out some of the highlights.
* First, Lacob did a lot of the day without public relations handlers and an entourage. Always a good sign that he is his own man.
* Lacob said he plans to be very active on the basketball side.
* He is not going to spend over the luxury tax line. Note that every team that went deep in the playoffs this year was over the line, and the champion Lakers were way over the line. But he was up front about that.
* As he has before, he made it sound like Don Nelson is done.
* He thinks Stephen Curry and David Lee are the pieces to build around.
Maybe not everything people hoped for from Larry Ellison, but not bad either. Kawakami summed it up this way: