Overlooked and Underloved: Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City
Back for a second week, it’s Overlooked and Underloved. Here’s what to watch while the rest of the world is taking in Vancouver Whitecaps-Seattle Sounders, Montreal-NYRB, and the Galaxy-Chivas clasico featuring Juan Agudelo:
Colorado Rapids hosting Sporting Kansas City
To the bulletpoints, please:
- The Rapids are terribly inconsistent -- alternating wins and losses in their last five, including a mid-week butt-whipping by D.C. United -- but 3-1 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park with a +7 goal differential.
- Speaking of goal differential, the Rapids +1 ranks 7th in the league, despite the squad’s 5th place standing the Western Conference. SKC’s +6 ties them for 5th. Point is: These teams are good.
- Can you say playoff revenge? Sporting KC defeated the Rapids 4-0 during a two-leg playoff in 2011.
- SKC won 7 straight, then lost 3 in a row. They need to pull out of the tailspin. If they don’t, Peter Vermes’ head might explode, which will also be worth watching.
- Between the teams, 28 goals over 21 games. Not San Jose Earthquakes style, but there will be action.
- If it were up to us, this would totally be a Rivalry Cup? It’s totally drivable.