Transfer rumor roundup: Bale’s future in Madrid; Chelsea’s makeover
The 2018 World Cup is complete, which means we now fully turn our attention back to the club game, which means it’s time for (an abbreviated) transfer season to begin…
[ VIDEO: What do Liverpool, Spurs need this summer? ]
With Cristiano Ronaldo out of the way — and the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Neymar and/or Eden Hazard signed to replace him (yet) — Gareth Bale is expected to remain at Real Madrid and fill the “main man” void left by Ronaldo’s move for Juventus. The 29-year-old Welshman will meet with new Madrid manager Julen Lopetegui prior to the start of preseason friendlies in the United States. Bale has repeatedly been linked with a move to Premier League side Manchester United.
However, given Bale’s troubling history of injuries since moving to Madrid in the summer of 2013, it would be unwise — and unlikely — that Florentino Perez doesn’t make at least one massive signing this summer to replace Ronaldo’s otherworldly production. It makes all the sense in the world on the field, and fits Perez’s m.o., off of it.
The next month could see the Chelsea squad undergo a total and complete rebuild, and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, one of the breakout stars of the 2018 World Cup for Serbia, is said to top the wishlist of owner Roman Abramovich and new manager Maurizio Sarri. Man United have also been heavily linked with Milinkovic-Savic, dating back to pre-World Cup rumors.
The 23-year-old box-to-box dynamo will likely cost the Blues well over $100 million — if Lazio get their way — but in return they’ll be getting a player who, alongside N’Golo Kante, will re-establish Chelsea as one of the best midfields in club soccer, and arguably the toughest to play against.
- Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Mousa Dembele has reportedly rejected a potential move to Inter Milan
- Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said that forward Daniel Sturridge could still have a future at Anfield
- West Ham United forward Andy Carroll has reportedly been offered, on loan, to Turkish side Besiktas
- Crystal Palace and Bournemouth are reportedly both working toward signing forward Ollie Watkins from Championship side Brentford
- Everton and Bournemouth are reportedly expected to make bids for Genoa and Uruguay defender Diego Laxalt