Last Wednesday night T.J. Ford left the Spurs game with what was described as a “neck stinger,” the latest in a line of neck injuries the point guard has battled through in his career.
Those injuries were a lot more serious than had been let on — doctors had told him to stop playing and he had on a couple occasions had temporary paralysis due to his neck and spine issues.
So after seven seasons Ford has decided to walk away from the game at age 28 while he can still walk.
The official press release from the Spurs says he is taking a leave of absence, but Ford told Jeff McDonald of the Express-News he is retiring. Here is the quote, via McDonald on twitter.
Ford has two children, ages six and four. Getting to run and play with them in 10 years matters a lot more than another basketball game.
It seems the smart move, the mature move. We wish Ford the very best in whatever he chooses to do next.
On a far less important note, look for the Spurs to maybe make a move to bring in a backup point guard, they now have nobody of real experience on the roster behind Tony Parker.