Judge rules Aaron Hernandez can move to different jail
Last week, prosecutors in Bristol County, Massachusetts said that they had no objection to former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez’s request to move from a jail in that county to one closer to Boston.
On Monday, Judge Susan Garsh gave her approval for the move. Hernandez’s lawyers argued that Hernandez should be moved in order to make it easier for him to meet with counsel as well as because he was being mistreated by corrections officers. Prosecutors denied the latter charges and Garsh did not address them in her ruling.
She also did not specify a jail to which Hernandez should be moved and said that she wasn’t sure whether October 6 was a realistic date to start Hernandez’s trial on charges that he murdered Odin Lloyd. Garsh suggested that potential motions could push the date back, including one from defense attorneys asking for a change of venue away from Bristol County.
“We’re not prepared to do that now,” Hernandez’s attorney Jamie Sultan said, via the Associated Press. “That may well be coming.”
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to the Lloyd charges as well as charges that he murdered two men in Boston in 2012.