Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
NBCSports Header Logo

Manchester City puts it together late against Porto

Manchester City - Porto

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 21: Ferran Torres of Manchester City celebrates with teammate Phil Foden after scoring his sides third goal during the UEFA Champions League Group C stage match between Manchester City and FC Porto at Etihad Stadium on October 21, 2020 in Manchester, England. Sporting stadiums around the UK remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by Paul Ellis - Pool/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Manchester City - Porto: Man City overcame an early hiccup to beat Porto 3-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday in the first match of its 2020-21 UEFA Champions League campaign.

Luis Diaz gave Porto a lead but City quickly answered before pulling away in the second half.

[ MORE: Liverpool beats Ajax on o.g. ]

Sergio Aguero’s 40th Champions League goal leveled the score before a stylish Ilkay Gundogan free kick and pretty Ferran Torres dribble put the game to bed.

Three things we learned from Manchester City - Porto

1. Autopilot is still fine: Look, Man City in the Champions League is all about the knockout rounds and City is too good to worry about qualifying. Maybe clubs who play them twice a year will have answers, but Porto couldn’t keep the ball and needed a pretty bad error and delightful bit of technique to open the scoring.

2. The future winks: Silky interplay between Phil Foden and Ferran Torres recalled what we’ve seen so many times between David Silva and Raheem Sterling as City put the game away with a dynamite goal late.

3. Fernandinho injury one to watch: The Brazilian came off in the 90th minute for John Stones, and his steel still matters to City’s biggest goals (especially in this competition).

Man of the Match


Manchester City - Porto recap

Porto took a surprise lead after a Ruben Dias pass was intercepted by Mateus Uribe, who quickly found Diaz for a rapid, powerful dribble left to right across the top of the box before firing across goal and inside the far post.

City snapped to life with a drive into the 18 of their own, Raheem Sterling blocked by Pepe after a pair of close calls. It withstood a long check by VAR and Aguero hammered his penalty through the keeper’s dive.

The scares weren’t over for City, as Kyle Walker needed a goal line clearances to keep it 1-1 at the break.

Agustin Marchesin flew left to stop an Ilkay Gundogan hammer as the match approached the hour mark.

City stood over a free kick from just off-center and beyond the arc in the 65th. Gundogan buried it.

Torres and Foden worked a 1-2 with the Spaniard doing the heavy lifting to hit the final goal of the game.