Marco Di Vaio leaving Bologna; Is he bound for Montreal Impact?
If longtime Serie A striker Marco Di Vaio is not going to the Montreal Impact, then everything leading up to now has been a fantastic shoulder feint in that direction.
Weeks of speculation have pointed toward the popular Bologna man coming to Major League Soccer’s newest team. That would give Montreal quite the Italian strike tandem; The Impact is already home to Bernardo Corradi, who has just three goals in five matches for Montreal but generally looks dangerous for the expansion club.
Di Vaio previously played alongside Corradi at Valencia in the 2004-2005 season.
Today comes word that Di Vaio, 35, is definitely leaving Bologna. And he says an offer from Montreal is on the table.
“I received an interesting offer from the Impact and I’m considering it,” Di Vaio said during a Friday news conference. “I haven’t yet signed with the Impact, but there’s a concrete offer for one year-and-a-half.”
He would presumably become the Impact’s first Designated Player.