Mourinho on Mata transfer: heaps praise on player, lambastes Wenger for criticism
Both the gracious and venomous qualities of Jose Mourinho’s way with words have been on display when it comes to Juan Mata’s expected transfer from Chelsea to Manchester United.
The Chelsea manager has not hesitated to praise his soon-to-be former player nor take some shots at Arsene Wenger for his criticism of the big money transfer.
But first, his comments on the player:
He hasn’t been shy about praising Mata in the past, although it usually came with a caveat like “Yeah but if they’d only let me start 12 players, he could start.” Mourinho also pointed out that they’ll honor and respect Mata when he does return to Stamford Bridge.
Which, of course, will not be this year, as Arsene Wenger’s been quick to point out in his criticism of the transfer window. Commenters on this site weren’t hesitant to laugh off Wenger’s thoughts that Mata’s transfer was unfair because Chelsea won’t have to face Mata (and by extension, that the Gunners will).
Mourinho, too, was not hesitant. Independent on Sunday football writer Miguel Delaney tweeted the following quotes from Mourinho’s press conference:
- “Wenger complaining is normal because he always does. It’s something we know.”
- “If Wenger sells Ozil to Man United in this moment, I will be very happy, because he’s selling a very important player...”
- “Normally, [Wenger] should be very happy Chelsea is selling a player like Mata but this is his nature. We have to accept way he is.”
- “Wenger says this is not fair but what is not fair is that his team always has the best days to play.”
- “When you go to the fixtures during the season, it’s never fair because [Arsenal] always get the right times to play, to rest.”
Answer complaints about unfairness by calling the complainer a complainer, and then complaining: The. Special. One.