The Saints announced on Friday night that quarterback Derek Carr cleared the concussion protocol, which put him on track to start against the Panthers on Sunday.
On Saturday, the team formally removed him from their injury report. Carr had been listed as questionable due to the concussion as well as rib and shoulder issues, but he now has no injury designation.
The Saints also announced that they have signed fullback Adam Prentice to the active roster. Prentice has played in eight games this season and did a stint on injured reserve before moving to the practice squad.
Offensive lineman Nick Saldiveri was placed on injured reserve to open a spot for Prentice while wide receiver Marquez Callaway and defensive lineman Jack Heflin have been elevated from the practice squad.
Saints quarterback Derek Carr received the OK from an independent neurologist Friday, clearing him to play Sunday.
The team had a pool reporter talk to Carr after he was out of concussion protocol.
“I have felt better, but I’m doing great, that’s for sure,” Carr told pool reporter Luke Johnson of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
Carr, 32, now has been diagnosed with concussions twice in three games. He has yet to miss a start this season but has left three games early with injuries.
Carr said he is not worried about the impact of two concussions so close together.
“I don’t really have any concerns,” Carr said. “I did some extra tests and things like that this week, just checking on things. Our doctors and the non-affiliated doctor said everything was perfect, they showed me the results in comparison to things.
“I do not have any worries on that stuff. It didn’t feel like the two were even related to one another. So, for me, that’s just sometimes the price of doing business and playing football. So no concern on that part, long term or short term. Fully confident that I can be alright playing with that part of it.”
Carr said the protocol remained mostly the same this time, with “maybe a slightly couple” different things the Saints’ medical staff required. He praised the Saints for “going above and beyond” in treating him.
“I appreciated that,” Carr said. “Maybe it took a couple more minutes, a couple more seconds here and there to do some things, but it’s definitely the smart thing to do and I appreciate them for looking out for me that way.”
Saints quarterback Derek Carr has taken the final step to allow him to play Sunday, clearing concussion protocol, Nick Underhill of neworleans.football reports.
Carr needed clearance from an independent neurologist, which he received Friday.
The Saints had listed Carr as questionable with a concussion and injuries to his ribs and his right shoulder, but he was a full participant in Friday’s practice.
Carr has 11 touchdowns and six interceptions in his first season in New Orleans, and his 230.1 passing yards per game is the lowest of his career since his rookie season.
The Saints are 5-7 but only a game behind the Falcons in the NFC South. They play the Panthers on Sunday in what seems like a must-win.
Lions pass rusher Bruce Irvin got off pretty easy for the hit that knocked Saints quarterback Derek Carr out of Sunday’s game.
Irvin told Justin Rogers of the Detroit News that he was only fined $7,000 for the hit on Carr, which drew a roughing the passer penalty. Rogers says Irvin was smiling as he said it, suggesting that he was expecting a stiffer penalty.
It easily could have been stiffer, given the NFL’s emphasis on protecting quarterbacks and given that Carr suffered a concussion on the play. But the league’s disciplinary procedure apparently didn’t see it as an overly blatant hit from Irvin, the veteran who was playing his first game as a Lion.
Derek Carr made another step toward returning to the lineup on Friday.
The Saints quarterback was a full participant in practice for the first time this week. Carr suffered a concussion in last Sunday’s loss to the Lions and is also dealing with right shoulder and rib injuries heading into Sunday’s game against the Panthers.
Carr has not cleared the concussion protocol yet and that will need to happen for him to have any chance of playing.
If he is out, Carr may not be the only quarterback out of action. Taysom Hill missed a third straight practice with foot and left hand injuries and he’s listed as questionable as well.
That’s the same listing as wide receiver Chris Olave, who missed a second straight practice with an illness. Defensive end Cameron Jordan (ankle), wide receiver Rashid Shaheed (thigh), tight end Juwan Johnson (quad), linebacker Pete Werner (shoulder, oblique), kicker Blake Grupe (right groin), and guard Nick Saldiveri (shoulder) make up the rest of the questionable group.
Defensive end Isaiah Foskey (quad) and running back Kendre Miller (ankle) have been ruled out.