These Kings have a distinctive Philly feel about them
If you’re a Philadelphia Flyers fan, watching the Los Angeles Kings win the Stanley Cup had that distinct bittersweet taste to it.
These Kings came through with so many connections to the Flyers, fans had taken to referring to the Kings as “Flyers West” only now the Kings have the Cup and Philly is still without one since 1975. Dan Rosen of NHL.com highlights the numerous connections the Kings have to Philly and if you are a Flyers fan, you might want to look away. Check out these L.A.-Philly ties, they’re staggering.
- Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne, and Justin Williams all had significant time playing for the Flyers in their career.
- Colin Fraser was originally drafted by Philly in 2003 but never played for the Flyers.
- Kings assistant coach John Stevens is a former Flyers head coach.
- Kings GM Dean Lombardi, while between GM jobs with the Sharks and Kings, was a scout for the Flyers in 2006.
- Kings Vice President and Assistant GM Ron Hextall won the Conn Smythe Trophy with the Flyers in a losing effort during the 1987 Stanley Cup finals against Edmonton.
- Former Kings coach Terry Murray used to play for and coach the Flyers.
At this rate they have to have a Cup parade through Philadelphia too, right?